Follow by Email

Inspirational Reads

When It Comes to "Do or Do Not"...I Did Not

December 2, 2009

Well, upon the list of epic failures that I can number in my life, I have added one more. I should be able to compile a list about as long as my leg by the end of the year if I continue at this torrid pace.

At the beginning of the month, I said that I wasn't going to participate in NaNoWriMo, yet then I said I wanted to write 50,000 words in my current work in process, just so it would get me that much closer to finishing. The good news is, I kept my word and did NOT participate in NaNoWriMo. Kudos, kudos to me. The bad news? I fell about 40,000 words short of my goal. Well, in my novel, that is.

Here, for this blog? I'm pretty sure I wrote more than 50,000 words about explosions and places I've stuck my dick that I probably later regretted and the various and sundry other topics that cross my mind here on a somewhat daily basis.

Notice how I've failed in that whole "I'm going to post every day for the rest of the year" thing I claimed back in October. If there's an award anywhere for someone who is a chronic underachiever, then I'm a sure bet to win it. Wait. I have one already! It's my MASTER'S degree!!!

Amazing. All of the bitterness, none of the Ph.D.

I digress. But I'm sure my fellow MASTER'S degree holders will enjoy the subtle humor.

So, yes. I did manage to finally crack the 10,000 word plateau the other night. The good news is that, well, I'm 10,000 words in. Major accomplishment. That deserves a pat on the back. Or a handjob. Manual eroticism aside, I was worried that, when I got done telling the tale, there wouldn't be enough words to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish (minimum 80,000). Since I'm only not quite four chapters into the story and already at 10,000+ words, that fear is alleviated. I should still land somewhere between 80,000 and 100,000 words, total.

The other good news? I finished my hexameter verse. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I managed to make that shit iambic hexameter! How fucking awesome is that? Here, let me supply the answer for you: very!

I must say, I was very pleased with the way it came out. I'm glad that I decided to not rhyme the couplets (mostly because I ended up with 15 lines of verse) because that a) made the passage more difficult to write b) the lines sound forced and cheesy and c) disrupted the flow of words for the prophecy. And since the prophecy is kind of the keystone of this whole story, I felt that I should do it up right. So, for once, I've written something with which I'm quite happy.

The foundation for the story has been laid, the story is now progressing, and I'm soon to begin the whole quest-and-action part of the story, otherwise known as the fun part. Will I get it done before the end of the year? Difficult to say, but I have dropped all of the online games I was playing. I haven't touched Civ III in a month, Final Fantasy XII has lagged, and I no longer subscribe to the Big Ten Network, so I can't watch very many Indiana games. Plus, Notre Dame's season is done in football...okay, Notre Dame's season was done at the end of October. All of the formalities have been worked out now.

That's a long, round-about way of saying "I should have lots of free time to spend writing." Which I should. And, now that I've gotten past the big bump in the road, I can keep going forward with the tale. I believe it was Nej who suggested that I should skip forward to another chapter when I was hung up on the hexameter part.

While that is something that I usually do (I usually have at least three subplots playing out while I'm pushing forward the main part of the story), this is the first book I've written that is pretty linear. So, in other words, no, I couldn't skip ahead, because every chapter builds on the last one. I did know where I wanted to end the chapter with the hexameter, so I was able to work on the chapter in the Oracle and the one after they leave the temple at the same time. However, from here on out, I'm pretty much going to have to do one chapter after the other. This will probably help me to learn how to get from point A to point B without too much wandering in between, which, I think, is supposed to be a good thing.

So, here's the update. My goal is to get another 3000 words by the weekend. We'll see how well that works out.

If nothing else, it will just help me add to my Epic Fail List.


10626 / 100000 words. Holy Hot Damn Hell!!! 11% done! Pop the champagne and call in some strippers!!!

Oh, and, by the way...did anyone catch the beauty of the pun hidden in the second picture's hovertext?

18 comments:

Joshua said...

Is it that the hovertext was also hexameter?

Good job so far on the WIP. I had to crank out a 225-page fiction novel in 4 months for my masters. That included three drafts with revisions and time to get it bound. Never heard back from publishers. But that's part of the game, isn't it?

-Joshua

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

@ Joshua: Ding ding ding!!! Yes, it IS in hexameter. Unfortunately, due where the stresses fall in the word "hexameter", it's not iambic. I blame this on the fact that the hour was getting late and that Indiana lost last night.

Ed Adams said...

Hexameter?

Is that like 6 meters?

Anyway, I voted for you blog on some dude's awards site the other day.

Can't remember what it was, but you were nominated for having the longest posts.

Cowguy said...

Hey if you need some help, and have a space for a chapter about animal husbandry or going shoulder deep in a cowgina whist fishing out a calf... let me know. I'm your man.

Chemgeek said...

I like words.

BeckEye said...

Hexameter? Is that anything like a jigowatt?

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

No Big Ten Network? I'll keep you updated on the Hoosier situation.

Did you catch the game last night on ESPN2?

I really wanted to deep-fry the Terrapins, since they dashed our dreams of a Natinoal Championship in '02. Honestly, I wasn't too sad to lose that title game: beating Duke en route at Rupp Arena in Lexington was such a sweet, sweet March gift, that nothing else really mattered that year.

But, last night. I wanted revenge. I wanted a home win against a decent team. I wanted to put a W up for the Big Ten/ ACC challenge.

(Alas. I did not get what I wanted.)

carissajade said...

Yay for 10,000 words. I don't even know how one would begin to measure such a thing! I know you can do 3000 words by the weekend without even trying...

Soda and Candy said...

iambic hexameter in the heezy!

The Peach Tart said...

I clearly need to go back to literature class.

Wonderful said...

I didn't do Nanowrimo this year either, but that's pretty much because I've lost all motivation to write for realz. Oh wait, that's because i have to do that EVERYDAY already at my job. Guess I have a good excuse then.

Wynn said...

Go write! I'm tooting for ya! And if that makes sense, good. If it doesn't, just smile and accept it as a compliment!

adrienzgirl said...

I get it! I mean I got it. No need to imply that I have been stiffed with a good long hexa anything! :D

Yeah anyway, some of your hovertext and really smart jokes totally fly over the heads of some of us. I know it hexameter, and not iambic, but only cause I was paying real close attention. Otherwise, whizzzzzzzzz would have been the sound flying overhead! Just sayin'.

But hey, I often amuse the shit out of myself too and nobody gets the joke, or pun, or tip of the hat to something greater either.

Anybook, congrats on making your 10K.

Scope said...

Question: What is "......"

Answer: Its hexadecimal.

Jeanne said...

Congrats -- well begun is half-done (or, you know, 11% done).

Sassy Britches said...

Shake it off mister (TWSS). From what I'm reading, you ARE accomplishing things! 10,000 words is 10,000 more than I've ever written, so I'd be pretty darn proud that progress is being made. Plus, you've got hexameter girl over there cheering you on (or is she lap dancing you on?), so celebrate!

Lisa-tastrophies said...

Sorry, but I have already won the "award anywhere for someone who is a chronic underachiever" and I am not ready to relinquish it yet. Seriously, have you seen my blog lately, because I haven't. So much for the blog a day vows. Now I am more like the blog-once-a-month. :-)

Plus Hexameter sounds so sexy ....

Nej said...

When someone tells me to just skip it and move on, it motivates the crap out of me. I hadn't really thought about it, until now. I must have subconsciously been trying to do the same to you.

My subconscious is so sneaky. :-)

Glad to hear you got through it...and are now on to the "fun" part. Kudos to you (for the second time, if I've already said this once) for having the patience and motivation to write a novel. I spent Thanksgiving with my father and father-in-law trying to convince me to write one.

They must be nuts! :-)