Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

DUI-ke

May 29, 2008

Ah, Duke University. I felt kind of bad for you when Mike Nifong dragged the good name of your school through the mud in order to get reelected. Wait. No, that was just the lacrosse team. Duke tried and convicted the team without a trial. I forgot that. Any shred of respect I had for Duke went up in smoke with that little incident.

Now, there's this:

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2959759/

I realize that you have to be pretty smart to get into Duke. I acknowledge that. Also, I have no problem with underaged college kids hitting the booze, especially after the semester has wound down. I mean, I can think of a certain case of Icehouse bought and swilled down in Dekalb, IL that was purchased...shall we say...illegally? Yes, I think that sums it up nicely. So, it's not like I can cast any stones from that viewpoint.

But, dumbass...here's a clue. If you're an athlete, it might not be the best idea to go carrying booze around. Someone's going to snap your picture. If that someone happens to be in the city where your biggest rival is found, they're going to arrest you as well.

New Duke "football coach", David Cutcliffe, had nothing to say except that the situation will be handled internally. And by "internally", he means that he's calling Archie Manning to see if there's a hidden fourth Manning child that can magically appear in Durham this fall.

10 comments:

Lisa-tastrophies said...

Well, you know the Manning gene pool had to go shallow at some point....
And I LOVE the title on this one :-)

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Thanks.

I thought it was clever of me to include the picture of J.J. Reddick, but that's just me.

LOVE AND ONLY LOVE said...

that is soooo cool.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Indeed.

Rider said...

Your comment about hoping for fourth Manning child made wonder something. What's your best guess on how many years it'll be before professional franchises employ clones or genetically designed humans and take all the sport out of our sports?

Frank said...

I hate Duke.

There's a kid on the track team here who's a Duke FANATIC. He even has a Dick Vitale alarm clock and everything.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Frank: That made me throw up in my mouth a little bit...

Rider: From a scientific point of view, I think it will be a long time before we see any sort of cloning of humans. Pretty much everybody agrees that's not cool.

From the genetic modification standpoint...I can see that being off on the not-too-distant horizon, because you can always justify messing with an embryo's/fetus' genes by saying it's for the common good, i.e. removal of possible genetic mutations and/or diseases. If that were to happen, I think that you'd get clinics, similar to BALCO, where, instead of making drugs and molecules to make the athletes bigger, stronger and faster, they'll be inserting genes to make them bigger, stronger, faster. If there's enough trouble testing for HGH now, how are you going to prove that your 100 Home Run Hitting Slugger is the product of genetic modification?

mevans said...

Yeah, Duke pretty much sucks at everything, and it pisses me off that they've got the national media swinging from their nuts. Pretentious pieces of crap, all of 'em.

Duke has football now? Who knew? :-)

Noel said...

You know, this is why I think the drinking age should be lowered, so it's less demonized and also, well they're 20. They're close to the age. I think if it were 18 no one would care as much.

But then again, they're athletes and people idolize them, so maybe that can be where it comes in.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Duke does, in deed, have a football squad. In fact, the Virginia Tech faithful love them, because Wallace Wade stadium turns into Va. Tech south whenever the Hokies come to town.

Noel: I would like to see the drinking age lowered to 20, if not 18. It's not like you can't get ahold of booze as a freshman. But, as you said, being an athlete does sort of put a target on your chest if you decide to do any naughty activities.