Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

Wainscoting for One, please

June 18, 2006

I hung some wainscoting in my downstairs bathroom today. I did the three walls that don't have porcelein fixtures on them. In all, it was very tiring work, mostly because the bathoom is little, I had to get on my knees a lot of hammer paneling nails into the base of the wall, and of course that whole measure once cut twice thing. I will say that my measurements and cuts were pretty much dead on. The only time I had any issues was when I let my jigsaw wander a bit while cutting, so I would get tiny bows in my otherwise straight line. These were easily remedied, and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself. It'll look even better when I get the baseboards on and all that good stuff. I'm not looking forward to trying to cut around a sink, with all the pipes that come from the wall with it and all. The toilet is less of a worry, only because there is but one pipe that comes in for that, and I should be able to do that part pretty painlessly. Should being the operative term here.

I'm going on vacation next weekend for about a week and a half. I don't think I'll be able to check in, so be aware of that (especially if you're a certain history buff from Wisconsin who is planning on meeting up with me over the course of my trip back to the home country). I am, however, going to be taking my little notebook with me, so I can write out the epilogue. I have a twelve or thirteen hour drive ahead of me. I should be able to come up with what I want (I know the story I want to tell...it'll be short and full of denouement) and thenI can put it on the paper for typing later on. So, expect a big leap forward sometime after July 4th.

With that in mind, you'll understand that I've been really busy trying to get a bunch of stuff done at work. Consequently, with no children, I have plenty of time to stay late. I've been busting my ass in the evenings to try and get the precursors for the final products put together. It's almost like grad school, just without cyclopropanes. This has meant more nights of me coming home, crashing, and either watching television or playing a video game. Not a lot of writing.

I do, however, have some updates. Most of the work has been done in the infamous chapter five. That's the much-touted battle scene. It's coming together rather nicely right now, and, as anticipated, I'm typing much more quickly than in either of the other chapters I'm currently working on (four and seven) in which most of the action is spoken and not done. However, I'm apparently very good at writing dialogue, or so said my ex-girlfriend, Julie (who, by the way, I've been looking for on the internet lately, which is another reason why I haven't been writing much...distractions, distractions!) who got to read most of King of Thistles (about 2/3) when she was acting as my copy editor. Free editorial advice is great...except when she is not very used to the genre and has some issues trying to see where the story is going. *sigh*

Oh well.

Updates:
Word count: 29012
Page count: 96

Also, Sierra Nevada's IPA (#354) is mighty tasty. You should drink some for yourself.
New South's Pale Ale (#353)...not so much.

0 comments: