Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

Four Plotlines in Search of an Ending

August 22, 2006

I'll admit this up front: I don't know how to end this story.

I know who lives and who dies. I know how the final battle that provides the climax for the entire story is going to play out. I know who does what and when and where and why and how. It's that final chapter I have planned once the action comes to a head that I cannot seem to pin down. I've got a couple of different things in mind, but I'm unsure how to tie up in a nice, tidy little "they're happy for now, but not for ever after" bow. It's very odd. I have all the chapters leading up to it planned out (mostly). By that, I mean I know who is going where and what they'll do. For the most part, I think I'm done introducing characters. There will be a few more that pop up from time to time, especially among the humans as their political push for power play themselves out (Dr. Egan, eat your alliterative heart out).

It's just kind of frustrating. It hasn't slowed me down. In fact, I want to stay up later to keep writing so I can keep going further. I want to get there badly. I haven't felt like this while writing in a long time. Perhaps it is refreshing to write short, neat little one-shot, stand-alone stories like this. Long, grueling series may keep your readers buying your books just to see how the story plays out, but after a while, the author can get sick and tired of certain characters. Not that I hate my Hundred Kings Saga cast (on the contrary, I quite enjoy a few of the new charactes I've dreamed up and can't wait to include in the cast...the fact that suddenly Lord Greyskye is no longer an only child will make for some very interesting character development...which is important since a lot of the religious background of these people hinges on him...is that a teaser enough?). It's just that sometimes I would be like "Damn, another Montgomery chapter...why did I make them have five kids? AND then start getting married? Thank God this series only comprises one generation!"

Anyway. Talk about digression.

Instead, let's talk Boars and Wars.

I set for myself some rather aggressive goals (I thought). Let's see how we're doing:

Finished chapter 11. I am now currently working on 4 and 13 simultaneously...but a lot more on 4 right now. It's time to build that backstory up more.

Started three new chapters tonight. Chapters 14, 15 and 16. 14 and 16 are in the infancy stages. I got about 1/3 of 15 done. For some reason, I really like this chapter. Once it's done, I'll probably focus a bit more on 16. It, too, has some good promise for development of plot and intercharacter relationships. Or at least interactions. Some characters are going to soon discover that they must rely on other characters. Whether they like it or not.

I'm hoping to get 15 done tomorrow night. I have most of my chores done around the house, so hopefully after the midweek mopping of the kitchen floor, I can sit down and crank out some pain and punishment in literary form. After that, I hope to finish 13 either Thursday or Friday.

Now, let's look at the numbers:

Word Count: 60073 (I think the goal for the week, if I remember right, was 65,000)
Page Count: 200

I'm rather proud of myself.

I went and signed Madeleine up for soccer this evening. They asked me if I wanted to help coach. I thought about it, but I'm going to have to take care of Thomas while we are at soccer practices and games. So, until he gets older and a bit more manageable (how I'm going to keep him off the field while sissy is playing, I'll never know...), I'm not going to be coaching anyone. Besides, I played the one position on the field that is mostly useless in youth soccer (as I understand it): goalie. Besides, I'm sure 5 and 6 year olds don't want to learn about angles and how to avoid corner kicks as opposed to throw ins. They want to play with flowers and bugs they find on the field.

I'm going to have to learn to squelch my competitive side...fortunately, it's soccer and not basketball. I'd be in real trouble then...

0 comments: