Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

My Heart-Shaped Box

April 17, 2007

Last night, my power came on around a quarter after eight, and I sat down (after settling the kids back down once more) and began typing, but the power was still kind of...questionable. Plus, I had no internet, so when I came to a place where I needed to look something up, I was helpless. If you remember what happened a couple of days ago when the power blinked and the computer was on...well, you can see why I only wrote about four pages before abandoning ship last night. That meant that tonight, after the children were bathed and the trash was removed from the premises, that I would have to follow through on my "I'm not going to bed until..."

Well, I'm going to bed. And I'm taking the whole gang with me.

I finished chapter 25 late last week. I also started chapter 30 and pushed a little further on in chapter 31 (I'm settling on an ending that I like, and it brings all of the elements of the story together and ties them up all convenient-like). The big news, though...I finally finished chapter 7.

If you were Pat Shannon, you'd be doing a NADS dance now (the National Association of Dynamic Students, of course). In fact, I almost felt like doing a NADS dance when I wrote the words "He knew he would get little sleep this night." just moments ago. In fact, I'm still a little giggly.

So, the only "out of place" chapter remains 10, which is all of 1-page long, but with 7 done and the people and such set in place for that to take place, it should be easy to get it done soon, too. But, of course, I think I'm going to finish up 31 and maybe even try to finish 30 (I learned when writing King of Thistles that you need to pay specific attention to who lives and dies through the course of a battle, so that dead men (and women) don't show up in the final chapters of the story after their demise a couple of dozen pages earlier. This can sometimes be tricky when you write in a non-linear fashion, like I do. I can't just sit down and write "Page 1" and keep going until I hit "Page 500" or whatever. I have to jump around, because then it keeps it exciting for me. That's why I also switch viewpoints between characters from chapter to chapter, to keep my readers' attention, as well.

So, here's the run down:
Word Count: 127737
Page Count: 417

I'm looking at maybe ~130,000 words and ~525 pages. Not too shabby, for a "first" novel.

There will be more coming soon. I promise. April is almost over. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the knights from Final Fantasy Tactics.

4 comments:

Chemgeek said...

Shoot! And all I did tonight was review complex I and complex II of the electron transport chain. I feel so inferior. I didn't even give my children a bath.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Oh man...getting cozy with co-enzyme Q. Good times...good times.

Ψ*Ψ said...

I didn't give my children a bath either. They SO hate getting their fur wet.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

I guess you could always lick them clean. Just don't come in here hacking up furballs.

I used to bathe my kitties in the sink. If you start out when they are kittens, then they don't mind it so much later in life. The first couple of times, it's all yowls and claws. I recommend holding on by the scruff of the neck. It was a good thing I got them trained, too, because I had a beautiful long-haired calico that had a predeliction toward shitting the carrier full about thirty minutes into the drive whenever we would go on trips (such as to my parents' house). THAT was a torturous hour and a half ride.