Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

Totally Blowing Stuff Up Tuesdays: Darwin Awards

January 25, 2011

Oh good Lord. Whoever decided that we shouldn't have any three-day weekends between the beginning of the new year and the end of May should be publicly horse-whipped, perhaps even nude, somewhere in Vermont. We haven't even made it through January yet, and I'm looking forward to the holidays, 2011 style.

Or, if not the holidays yet, at least a weekend where I can be somewhat lazy and not wrestle dead flora out of my living room and into the woods next to my house. There's no need for the Ents to come mooting around this place; I let that tree live the life of Riley for at least two weeks after it should have been relegated to compost. House guests and fish smell after three days; Christmas trees get dry, brittle and leave rings of needles everywhere for you to sweep up later.

Fortunately, the house is mostly recovered from the holidays. I sure haven't recovered yet. Something about my ass and the couch becoming one for a period of nearly two weeks puts the damper on that whole "ambition" thing. So, I don't know about you, but I need a pick-me-up. Since I don't really drink anymore, and I have all the naked women I ever need lying in my bed right now, I guess I'll have to exercise some other vice.

Oh, hey, videos of explosions!

Here's one of someone who...didn't know what he was doing, or at least has a hard time figuring the heat of enthalpy of a reaction. He also didn't realize that constricting the area for the explosion to take place in was a very bad idea.



In case you missed it, he's lighting a mixture of acetylene gas (the stuff they put in blow torches) and oxygen. Oxygen is there to support the combustion of the organic gas. I'd write out the balanced equation, but you guys don't come here for science, you come here for videos of shit being blown up and egregious use of the word "fuck".

I want you to pay special attention to how the hood sash ends up after all is said and done in the video. To say it was left askew would be an understatement; homeboy's lucky he still has both hands, use of his eyes, or even that he still has a head.

Granted, at least he tried being safe with his explosion gone awry, unlike this dumbass:



Too bad that ugly-ass shirt didn't get taken out in the explosion, Mr. Goggles Would Ruin My Fashion Sense.

Well, it's still a long time until May, but watching these videos does take away the pain of the long slog through the ass-end of winter and the opening weeks of spring. How long until college football starts back up again? Nine months? Fuck.

12 comments:

michaelkhensley said...

>...you guys don't come here for the science.
On the contrary Mr. Jenks! As a 6 year college student who dropped out 6 hours shy of a Chem/Physics degree with a GPA hovering around the 2 mark, I do enjoy the science part of your blog and BSU Tuesdays are something I look forward to. Of course the images of scantily clad women ain't hurtin' anything...

BigSis said...

I'm starting a campaign to make the Monday after SuperBowl a holiday. You in?

Chemgeek said...

I do stupid stuff like this all the time. Except at the end of a near death explosion I like to shout "SCIENCE!!!!" directly to the cowering audience. It's kind of my catch phrase.

Bev said...

I'm totally with ya on the vacay/holiday slump! Since I've barely been to work all month due to illness and bad weather, I'm having a really hard time getting back into the swing of things!

Fun s'plosions... but that second guy deserved much worse than he got just for thinking it's okay to wear that heinous shirt.

Wynn said...

I love science! I can't say that I come here FOR science, but if you'd incorporate any kinds of science it's all good with me. Like Friday morning latin! Learn stuff, AND smile!

Amber said...

I always hoped there'd be explosions like these during one of my high school science classes. Actually, there probably were explosions like these during my high school science classes, but I was just too busy playing Tetris on my graphing calculator to notice.

SkylersDad said...

I love being blinded by sc-sc-sc-science! Or explosions, or large breasts. I am not very picky.

Cora said...

You're right. I come here for the egregious use of the word "fuck". I get fucking sick of saying "frick" while my kid is around.

Doo said...

Science fails are the best ^^

Scope said...

Don't you get King Day off?

I wish there were explosions like this in my high school chemestry class, but instead of poor glasswear getting it, I would have nominated certain classmates.

Raine said...

Science and explosions are the best!

Kraneia said...

Science: ehhh...allright...
Explosions: HELL YEAH.
Science *with* Explosions: WOOO!
Aye,
Scratch