Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

Did Someone Actually Think This Would Work?

March 27, 2009

Yesterday, after my review of What in the Word?, Soda & Candy posted a link in my comments section to Schott's Vocab Blog at the New York Times website. Therein, the author describes, as he puts it, "unconsidered lexicographical trifles", or strange words. For the most part, it's entertaining.

And then...I found an entry for "sea kittens". The definition of sea kittens:

A bizarre euphemism for fish – advocated by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in an attempt to persuade children that fish are too cuddly to eat.

Seriously, PETA? This is the best you could come up with? Like my friend, Joe, suggested, couldn't PETA have though of some euphemism that would indicate that it's something you don't want to eat, as opposed to something as ludicrous as making fish into cuddly--if slimy--entities? My suggestion, of course, was to call them "Sea Dick". Of course, that's going to bring a whole host of foul images to mind when someone screams "Thar she blows!" Someone better get a towel.

While PETA was trying to liken fish to their cute and cuddly land-based relatives, they heinously forgot sea kittens' other taxonomically related land-based cousins: the Sweater Kittens. When compared to fish...er...sea kittens, Sweater Kittens are far more cuddly and warmer. Not to mention, they taste a lot better, too.



Although, this does lend a whole new aura to the Shakespearean phrase "groping for trouts"! Have a nice weekend, everyone!

10 comments:

Sass said...

What does PETA think about "meat sticks?"

I'm just sayin'.

Anna Russell said...

I HATE PETA. With a passion. I'm a supporter of animal rights and they just come along with their crazy and give all the rest of us (and more importantly, the cause) a bad name. I want to kick them in their sweater kittens.

Rant over.

Soda and Candy said...

heh, sweater kittens.

Sassy Britches said...

Sweater kittens taste better? Yeah, if you like a mouthful of synthetic fibers!

BeckEye said...

That probably has the reverse effect on Asian children.

OH!

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Scope said...

I saw the picture, and thought, "Sweater Muffins" even before I started to read.

words...words...words... said...

PETA does the same thing for the animal rights cause that abortion clinic bombers do for the pro-lifers and Al Sharpton does for civil rights. i.e., nothing good. My favorite was their public plea for Ben & Jerry's to use human breast milk in their ice cream.

Cora said...

"Thar she blows!" Ohh gawd, PRICELESS, Mjenks! Simply priceless!

Cowguy said...

Makes it more fun to order at the drive through at McDonalds.

GIMMEE A SEA KITTEN SANDWICH!

Then bark like a dog and pull up to the window.

Lisa-tastrophies said...

As a "Sweater Kitten" myself, I would personally like to invite PETA to KISS MY ASS!!! I am completely FOR the consumption of "Sweater Kittens". PETA needs to stick with protesting the clubbing of baby seals and get off my chest!!!

P.s. My other kittens took great offense to being likened to anything in the Ichthyological side of the taxonomy world.