Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

Paging the E-Nerd

July 11, 2009

The wonderful thing about having a blog is that I have, over the past however many years, come to befriend a great many people from a wide variety of places around this vast globe of ours. Sure, some of you I know in real life or we went to fifth grade together or got shitfaced drunk in Gallagher hall or whatever, but larger majority of my readership is comprised of people I have never met. Would I like to? Fuck yeah, but I really don't see that happening in the near future.

Unless you all get really fucking drunk and wake up in North Carolina and then, after trying to piece together just how the hell you got to North Carolina, you decide "You know what? I think I'll go give that Jenks guy a visit, see what he's all about. Wait a minute...who the fuck lets their grass grow this long, that fat motherfucker over there? Help me, Mr. Wodka, take me away!"

What was I talking about again?

Oh yeah, how keen and spiffy and boneriffic you people are.

Anyway, when I started this whole blog business, I certainly didn't think I'd meet up with someone from South Africa. I figured the most exotic places would be somewhere like Scotland or perhaps some Scandinavian locale. Right time zone, but wrong hemisphere (or some such bullshit like that).

I stumbled across Pfangirl's blog while looking up some shit about the GI Joe movie coming out this August. That was probably two years ago (at least a year and a half), and for a nerdy motherfucker like me, I landed smack in the middle of geek heaven. If you've never given her a read, take a look. I'm especially a fan of her Girlz 'N' Games webcomic, especially this one where she details the writing and drawing process.

Well, this weekend, Pfangirl is hitting something called ICON, which is South Africa's biggest games and comic convention. In order to pimp her webcomic stuff, she had a Girlz 'N' Games shirt made for the convention, and then invited everyone to stare at her chest. At least, that's how I interpreted it. So, because I'm such a good bloggy friend, I was going to leave her a comment, when I noticed something strikingly coincidental about her word verification...which I went ahead and copied, just so people would believe me.


That's right, the word verification is "enerd". Fitting and awesome.

I hope you had a good time at the con, Pfangirl, and that all the dudes staring at your chest lands you a sweet publishing deal for your webcomic.

13 comments:

Mr. Condescending said...

hah I do think that google does fuck around with you sometimes.

I never have understood the whole game and comic thing. I dont disagree with it, I just don't understand it.

Chemgeek said...

So, why are verification words things like "you suck, jackass" or "suck it, Chemgeek." I understand the need for verification, but why the personal attacks against me?

Google is more powerful than I imagined.

erin said...

I used to have a t-shirt that said 'Dork'...I wore it at least once a week to school for two years...
Then I lost it on a trip to Virginia Beach that I barely remember now. And considering how many drugs I did on that trip..no surprise here.

Isn't it funny that we can't remember what we did, but we can remember how much we drank and how much pot we smoked? Or is my use of 'we' too loose?

Soda and Candy said...

I don't think I've ever been called boneriffic before.

; )

Scope said...

I promise I won't be eyeballing that picture all weekend. (Shhhh... My girlfriend might hear.)

The Ambiguous Blob said...

I've met up with lots of bloggers and it has always turned out well.
ALSO - one of them was a South African. I was in the other down under and was having a pity party. I notified one of my bestie bloggers of my party and she wanted to help. But she was like- I'm totally in California and my buddy is in South Africa. What can I possibly do?
And then... then she remembered that one of her blog commenters LIVES in South Africa. So she sent this lady an email that said something like: My friend is in your area and she is sad. You must stop what you are doing and show her a good time.

It worked too. I heart bloggers.

If I'm ever in North Carolina, I'm invading your space. Just a friendly warning. Oh- and if you're ever in Southern California, you're invading mine. Don't forget.

Cora said...

*le sigh* I love word verification captchas. Those f*ckers are freaking funny sometimes. Although Nikki's blog totally threatened me with bodily harm the other day....

*sniffle*

PS: Scope, I heard that. :-P

mo.stoneskin said...

You saying you can't be bothered to fly over the pond for a couple of pints?

Jeanne said...

I don't think anyone's ever called me "bonerific" before....

Uberfiend said...

You chest-gazing people are sick!!!
Depraved!!!
I feel at one with you all.
Incidentally I work with pfangirl and her chest is not naturally this...er...awesome...I feel it may perhaps be due to advanced space age geek-shirt material or the unseasonal cold weather here in sunny SA.

Anyway she has had an awesome con (although she did claim to feeling out of place being neither black clad/leather wearing or pierced in unlikely places.) You may even want to follow her on twitter too - username pfangirl (a nice geek she is but alas, somewhat lacking in imagination.)

And she is never EVER going to live Scope's comment down. Trust me I'm her boss!!!

Nej said...

Sometimes I think those word verification gnomes are actually reading my mind. enerd...love it!!

Pfangirl said...

MJenks, I don't know whether to thank you for this blog love or seek potent online revenge (especially since you even got my boss to break out of lurker mode and comment above).

*begins plotting*

As it turns out, I did have a great time at ICON, and got to try out a number of different things... as well as establish that the rumoured geek hierarchy does actually exist in reality!

The "look at my chest" advertising strategy achieved marginal success. Being Winter down here it was incredibly cold, and I found my shirt was somewhat camouflaged by a jacket and scarf. However, by the end of Sunday I did have a few people coming up to me and asking if I was "the cartoonist."

BTW, I will wear the title of "enerd" with pride :)

otherworldlyone said...

Yay bloggers.

I was so excited when I realized my blog was being read by English folks. Because hey, they're foreign and that's awesome. Although, Mo.stoneskin would disagree with that (not the awesome part...but the foreign part).