Powered By Blogger

Inspirational Reads

French Toast Holiday!

January 20, 2009


One disadvantage of living in the South is that we rarely get snow. See, I like snow. I daresay I love it. Which is why it's sometimes with a bitter, envious eye that I watch the weather channel and see that Indiana and the Great Lakes States are getting dumped on again and again. I know, I'm kind of freaky, but I love snow, I like the cold, and I love winter.

One advantage of living in the South is that we get snow so rarely that, when we do, everything shuts down. Schools. Churches. Research labs. That's right. I rolled out of bed this morning at 7:45, saw we had a two hour delay, and then watched more weather. At 8:45, I found out that the roads were too hazardous for people to be on and that we should all stay home, thus securing a French Toast Holiday.
The other phenomenon that happens when you hear that a major snow storm is a-brewin' is that people rush to the store to stock up on staple supplies, which usually turn out to be bread, milk and eggs. The only thing I can think of that these mix to is French Toast, which is why free days off from work are French Toast Holidays.

Perhaps my favorite thing about winter weather down here is the number of snow plows littering the sides of the road. Apparently, we in North Carolina, despite having an ocean to our right (left, if you're looking at the Moon), have yet to master the modern technology of evaporating dishes and thus don't have enough salt to go around. You'd think that if the Venetians could do it in the Dark Ages, that technology would have made it here by now. I guess not; I'm not complaining, because I like the free day off. I just marvel at how ill-prepared North Carolina always seems for winter.
Unfortunately, I didn't make French Toast. Instead, I made Pancakes (American Pancakes at that...suck it, Pierre) with some bacon on the side. The Buxom and Comely and Easily Terrified Boudicca whipped up some cheesy grits to go along with the breakfast, and we feasted and watched as snow filtered down through the trees of our woodsy backyard. It was perfect.

After breakfast, we all went outside to play until we got cold (so about 30 minutes...we are Southerners, after all) and then retreated into the warm, bacony-smelling interior of the house. Now lunch has passed and, frankly, I'm feeling a bit like a nap. Awesome.

Also...someone should tell Aretha Franklin not to hesitate and pause after saying the first syllable of "country". Especially when the word preceding it is "my".

19 comments:

Chemgeek said...

You people are soft.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Soft like marshmallows, dude. 20 degrees seems cold now.

red said...

You say "I'm kind of freaky" like it's something we don't already know.

We get days off for heat and fires in SD. Does that count?

Giggle Pixie said...

I've got the snow AND I'm having waffles with yogurt, bananas, walnuts and cinnamon for supper. Ahhhh....

Frank said...

Grits, a disgusting staple of Southern cooking.

You can have some of our snow...the plows made this huge pile at the corner of my parking lot that's probably close to 15 or 20 feet high by now.

Lou said...

What are you doing with that....that icon of Japanese broadcasting next to your pancakes???

Lou said...

Okay, not pancakes but some pie thing. I was distracted by the toy.

Susan said...

yeah, I remember my days way too long ago at USC in Columbia - I thought people were literally nuts if it dared to snow a few flakes! Y'all are crazy. And I'm so jealous.

dg said...

Oooh. Bacon again! MMMMMMMMM.
I cooked up an entire package of bacon on Sunday AM and it was gone by Sunday PM.

BAAAAY-CON!

Scope said...

Saturday, I was tired of being cooped up, so I went for a walk, to get some breakfast, do some shopping, etc. I was thinking, "Wow, it's pretty nice out here. Sun shining. It must be, like 35°."

Yeah, then I passed the bank: 16°!

And it felt WARM!!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Ohh heyyy!! Happy snow day!! Isn't it just great!!!!
And personally-I prefer pancakes to French toast-and of course, you know how we all feel about BACON!Bring it on!!

Lisa-tastrophies said...

I am envious. Texas appears to have forgotten that January is supposed to be cold. The 78 degree freak-it's-winter-not-summer weather we are having here is killing me.

Sassy Britches said...

I seriously read through most of the post thinking you ACTUALLY had French Toast. Sheesh; way to rain on my parade. Although you redeemed yourself (a bit) with the cheesy grits.

We got our first snow of the year in southeasatern Illinois on Sunday night; come back Thursday, and you can live vicariously through some videos of my country home. (I paused in the middle of that word for your benefit).

Hap said...

I'm not that big a fan of snow, particularly since, though we get it often, no one can mange to remember how to drive in it. Though I shouldn't be surprised - people here can't drive in the rain, or when sober, or anything like that, so why should they be able to drive in the snow?

At least we're still positive temperature in Fahrenheit. That's something.

BeckEye said...

I love hearing Southerners talk about the cold and snow like it's one of God's miracles. Meanwhile, my nipples have sliced holes through all of my shirts.

Sass said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed the pause in country.

Her WHAT is of WHO??? It's a sweet land of...? I think not.

Moooooog35 said...

I just threw up a little bit thinking of Aretha's cunt-ry.

Ugh.

Did it again.

Gwen said...

Homemade pancakes and bacon and grits? Damnit! Now I'm drooling.

Susan said...

Holy shit - I had to come back and comment about Urethra, oh, I mean Arethra Franklins cunt. I read your comment and didn't have a clue as to what you were talking about until my husband came home and couldn't stop mentioning it! He pulled it up on youtube for me so now I'm somewhat horrified [queue vision of Arethra's cunt and horrified would be appropriate, right?]...